The theme is the underlying overall message of the story about a particular topic or issue.
- The theme is NOT literally what happens in the story; that is the subject/plot.
- How does the theme affect the main character(s)?
- WHAT happens to the characters?
- HOW are the characters described?
- HOW do others interact with them?
- HOW are their actions portrayed?
- WHY does this happen?
- Provide the backup via examples from the text.
- “If your mother says she loves you, check it out.” Don’t assume anything. Be prepared to defend everything you say with facts.
Always answer the “why” questions.
- WHY does the character do this?
- WHY did the author choose to use this technique?
- WHY is this important?